The 5 Best Smoke Tricks and How To Do Them
There is a great amount of theatricality in hookah smoking. The pipe, the hoses, the coals, the incredibly thick clouds that hookah pipes produce — it is all quite a spectacle, and there is some pomp and circumstance around a hookah experience.
Furthermore, there is a great deal of tradition surrounding hookah smoking, dictating the proper way to pass hoses and so on, which also can give a sense of spectacle to the whole ordeal.
Due to this ritualistic nature that is infused into the tradition of hookah, smoke tricks are quite at home in hookah smoking, where the fun displays of skill can make for a good time.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of different smoke tricks that you can probably learn pretty quickly. There are some that are more challenging as well, but if you have never done a smoke trick before, you could be one hookah session away from having a trick in your back pocket.
Here is the MOB Hookah guide on the 5 best smoke tricks and how to do them.
#1 How To Do The French Inhale
The first smoke trick that we are going to teach you today is also one of the easiest smoke tricks in the book. With just a few minutes of practice, you can be ready to pull this out at any party and look like the coolest hookah smoker around.
The French Inhale is a classic trick that makes it look like you are inhaling smoke coming out of your mouth through your nose, in a sort of reverse dragon kind of way.
The French Inhale is a pretty simple trick, it only has a few steps, and with just a bit of practice, you can have it nailed and ready to show friends.
- Take a big drag on your hookah hose, and do your best to leave the smoke in your mouth rather than taking it into your lungs. If you have never done this before, think of it like taking a sip from a straw.
- Then, open your mouth just a bit, and let the smoke float up out of your mouth. DO NOT EXHALE, as that will push the smoke out too hard and fast for your nose to catch. Just leave your mouth open, and if you can, position your tongue at the back of your throat, and use your tongue to push the smoke out a bit.
- As the smoke comes out of your mouth, inhale gentle through your nose to bring the smoke back up through your nostrils and actually inhaled into your lungs.
And that’s all you need to do to join the ranks of Snoop Dogg, Whiz Khalifa, and Frenchie as an expert French Inhaler.
Pro Tip: Try pushing your bottom jaw down and out a little bit so that the smoke will pour out of your mouth right below your nose for the best effect.
#2 How To Do Smoke Rings
This one is the smoke trick that started it all — blowing O’s, or as you may know it, doing smoke rings.
Smoke rings may be an incredibly popular and old smoke trick, but unfortunately, it is also a slightly more advanced trick, best for intermediate trick smokers. If you struggle to get this one, don’t give up and keep practicing, you’ll get there eventually.
- Take a draw on your hookah, preferably quite a large one, while keeping the smoke in your mouth, not your lungs.
- Then, you are going to relax and depress your tongue towards the bottom of your mouth and towards the back of your throat, while raising your soft palate. If you are doing it properly it should feel like you are yawning almost.
- Pull your lips into an O shape, be careful not to make it too tight or too large for the ideal-sized rings.
- Quickly exhale a very, very small amount of smoke by relaxing the back of your mouth enough to push just a little air out. Think of it like a tiny cough.
And that is all there is to the classic ring. If you are actually giving blowing O’s a try, however, saying “that’s all there is to it”, might be a bit simplistic. This trick requires a lot of practice to get the hang of.
Don’t lose hope if you aren’t able to do this one right away. Remember, a smoke trick should be a fun thing, not a stressful thing.
#3 How To Do The Ghost Inhale
Now we are going to get a little spooky with the ghost inhale. If you struggled with the smoke rings, this will be a great trick for you to get back on your feet.
The ghost inhale is very similar to the French inhale, but it can give a different look and also doesn’t require the use of your nose. You may just find that the ghost inhale is one of the easiest and coolest-looking smoke tricks out there.
- Take a large draw on your hookah while leaving it in your mouth instead of sending the smoke to your lungs.
- Position your lips into an O shape, just like you would to blow smoke rings.
- Use your tongue to push a cloud of smoke out of your mouth. The key here is not exhaling, but pushing with your tongue. The harder you push, the farther the cloud will travel. Keep your tongue pushed lightly if you can to keep the cloud closer.
- Once the cloud has appeared outside of your mouth, fully inhale through your mouth to draw the smoke back in and into your lungs.
This trick is awesome because it makes it look like a little ghost has come out of your mouth and then you inhaled it right back into you. It’s a fun party trick that will get your friends excited.
#5 How To Do The Jellyfish
For our last trick of the day, we are going to introduce you to one of the more challenging and difficult tricks that are out there — the jellyfish. If you found smoke rings easy to learn, then you are going to love the jellyfish smoke trick.
The jellyfish trick makes the smoke coming out of your mouth look like a jellyfish swimming through the ocean. This one is a ton of fun and is sure to make you the coolest hookah smoker in your group
- Take a big draw from your hookah, leaving the smoke in your mouth.
- Position your lips into the same O shape that you use to blow a smoke ring.
- Blow a large smoke ring from your mouth, by pushing the smoke out fast and hard.
- Once the smoke ring has traveled just far enough from your mouth (usually a few inches), blow out another, slightly smaller cloud of smoke aiming through the center of the ring.
- This second cloud should be sucked into the vortex that is created when you blow a proper smoke ring, and give the appearance of a swimming jellyfish.
This trick is not an easy one, and is going to require quite a lot of dexterity with your regular smoke rings before it looks great. Once you get the hang of it, though, doing a jellyfish is a fun way to jazz up the traditional smoke ring.
Smoke Tricks: The Takeaways
A great way to get yourself involved in the theatricality of hookah smoking is to learn a few basic tricks to add more spectacle to your smoking experience.
You should now know the essential steps to doing five of the most fun smoke tricks that there are.
Keep checking back here at our blog for more great content like this.